Responsibilities of your role include:
Big/Little Chair & Big/Little Chair Elect
Keeper o’ Music
Members at Large
- Attending all required officer meetings.
- If you miss more than three without communicating with the team, you will be removed from your position.
- Attending/helping with at least two non-mandatory events
- ie. recruitment party
- Setting an example in class and rehearsals.
- Giving your best to the curriculum
- Being present (physically and mentally) in class
- Modeling proper behavior for a rehearsal
- When needed, help to start every class period right at the bell by:
- Asking students to take a seat
- Reading Announcements posted on the board
- Distributing any necessary papers or materials
- Leading physical warm-ups/stretches
- Taking attendance during classes and performances.
- Supporting your fellow officers and students through your encouragement and your willingness to help with additional tasks not listed here.
- Communicating with the Boosters through various means, including attending their meetings
- Conducting VHS Chorus Officer meetings.
- Regularly communicating with Mrs. Smith about the needs of the Chorus program, then informing the appropriate officers of those needs.
- Informing Mrs. Smith of anything officers may need from her or from the program.
- Preparing a typed agenda for each officer meeting, posting it for officers in advance, and displaying/distributing it at our meetings.
- Adjusting the agenda according to input from officers.
- Maintaining an awareness of all projects in all positions, and what other officers are striving to achieve. Helping officers to problem solve as issues arise, offering assistance, and helping to keep people accountable.
- Organizing and managing MPA volunteers.
- Running the leadership communication platforms to remind leaders of meetings and other activities.
- Taking action to remain approachable to students who do not know you.
- Organizing the Chorus Awards reception with help from our Social Chair, Publicity Chairs, and other interested officers.
- Taking minutes at meetings (or finding a replacement in the event you must be absent)
- Recording, organizing, and communicating all officer absences from meetings and activities. Notifying teachers and Presidents when need arises.
- Taking and posting meeting minutes to OneDrive
- Collecting contact information for all officers.
- Creating/organizing sign-in sheets for all events; keeping track of who attends which events.
- Refilling classroom supplies – pencils, absence forms, sheet music, restroom sign-out sheets, etc...
- Keeping track of all officer requirements; notifying teachers and Presidents when need arises.
- Refreshing attendance sheets as they are completed.
- Informing Big/Little officers about new students.
- Creating and maintaining accurate class rosters/attendance sheets.
- Creating and maintaining an accurate list of students by year in chorus including their grade level.
- Checking off names when students receive their end-of-year awards.
Big/Little Chair & Big/Little Chair Elect
- Creating events with the social chair during which Bigs and Littles can connect.
- Updating and distributing Big/Little surveys to Littles and potential Bigs at the beginning of the year.
- Creating a list of potential Bigs through:
- Advertising the position to foster interest in becoming a Big.
- Planning, distributing, and grading tests to determine eligibility
- Distributing and collecting student and parent contracts
- Carefully pairing every first-year student with a mentor, using their surveys to match personalities and interests.
- Planning the Big announcement and the Big Awards. Ensuring that every Little receives a gift/award for these events.
- Distributing mid-year checks and making pairing adjustments as necessary.
- Creating pre-made packets for possible mid-year student additions. Include:
- Big/Little survey
- Uniform rental/purchase information
- Chorus handbook
- Chorus calendar
- Remind information
- Copies of current music, or instructions for how to get it
- Updating our Big/Little book.
- Maintaining an accurate inventory of concert attire and Madrigal costumes throughout the year.
- Keeping an accurate record of rented and borrowed uniform pieces, and consistently requesting their return after use.
- Distributing concert attire at the beginning of the year.
- Collecting and organizing concert attire at the end of the year.
- Solving uniform emergencies on concert days. This includes checking out missing items and ensuring that they are returned after the performance.
- Checking out, collecting, and organizing Madrigal costumes.
- Maintaining respectful confidentiality of people’s clothing sizes. Neglecting this will result in dismissal from the officer team.
- Planning regular social events outside of school.
- Planning recruitment events at least three times each year.
- Planning weekly transfers/activities for the chorus classes and sending them to Mrs. Smith.
- Involving and managing teams of students to help with events.
- Completing and submitting event forms for any events outside of the school day.
- Communicating with the Tri-M Social Committee and the VHS Choral Boosters.
- Organizing regular trips to Laurel Nokomis, Venice Middle School, SLA, and other feeder middle schools.
- Taking and/or collecting photos and videos from every chorus event.
- Regularly posting photos and/or announcements to chorus social media accounts and saving them for use in future publicity materials.
- Maintaining and posting to our Chorus Youtube account.
- Sending photos to the school’s social media representative.
- Publicizing choir events to the choir, school and community (posters, announcements, invitations, etc..).
- Editing marketing videos for recruitment or other purposes.
- Creating programs for Madrigal. (Request the list of names from our Secretary)
- Promoting choir events on VTV news.
- Putting together a slideshow for the Chorus Awards.
Keeper o’ Music
- Regularly filing music.
- Creating and updating the digital music catalogue.
- Preparing music for distribution.
- Repairing books/damaged music copies.
- Checking student slots for folders/music/pencils.
- Maintaining student music as needed.
- Stamping new music.
- Preparing music for our accompanist.
- Copying music with instrumental parts and delivering it to the orchestra or band director to request recommendations for student accompanists.
Members at Large
- Maintaining the Chorus bulletin board.
- Displaying a willingness to assist with Chorus events, performances, activities, and projects throughout the year.
- Maintaining an awareness of the officer projects occurring and offering specific assistance to our team.
- Contributing to officer meetings by sharing ideas and being an active participant in discussions.
- Voting on importance decisions for the chorus.
- Serving as a positive example for other Chorus students during and outside of class time.
- Promoting the Chorus Program within the school and community; positively representing VHS Chorus to other VHS students.
- Optionally: “See a need fill a need.” Observing the choir program’s needs and the needs of our community. If you see a way that our leadership could serve that it isn’t already, presenting your idea to Mrs. Smith. If approved, you would be the officer in charge of making it happen!